Friday 24 July 2015

A tink and a smash

Due to this Arm being a long Cul-de-sac and all single locks, it means that the two boats simply make their own way down.  Yarwood left at their preferred business hours of really early and we didn't.  The newly weds being Night Owls were last to wake, much later than me but the insomniac was off on his bike, probably sight seeing in Inverness and Canterbury.

So we did set off later rather than sooner.  


Him here can only mean one thing....



Yes, I am driving.
I was sort of bounced into it, I mainly hate driving because David is like a disapproving aunt,  but a back mini problem surfaced and I was not allowed to do the locks.  First lock no problem at all and I went in straight without a rub or anything.
Marvellous he said kindly.   Looking good.


Verity making a video for her In-Laws to see in NZ.

This morning Mitch is actually wearing Jandells (Flip flops)

All was going swimmingly..... until, one of these dear little pounds which was low and the lock beyond it was pretty slow filling, I got sucked into the bushes and had a bit of trouble getting out again, now being only a very periodic driver I have no idea which way to press the Cissy Button (Bow thrusters) so clearly I pushed myself further in whilst attempting to escape...  

David was most helpful, he signalled nothing, looked blankly at me and said less.  

Out at last I reversed and tried to straighten so that when this bloody lock gate was finally opened I could go in, one teeny weeny tink as I went in and there was a smashing sound, Verity's face broke into a bit of a smile and said "Maybe a dustpan and brush mum!"  I was horrified as I really thought one of the kitchen folding windows behind the hatch had gone, but really Reader it was only a tinkle.  

David raised an eyebrow in that brutal manner of his, I ran off shouting as I left that I had finished now... 
The smashing glass sound was merely a wine glass placed unknowingly by my lovely SIL (Son in law) on the draining board when the folding window had flipped out of position and knocked it off.  Its slightly unfortunate that Amanda and Lesley had only five days since been to IKEA to replace it for me. When are you going again girls?

All cleared up and I put the kettle on for coffee.  Whilst doing so David hit was seemed to be one of the sandbanks we had encountered on the Wash, we really tilted and I was faced with a sliding 4pt milk container with no lid, boiling kettle, two cups and saucers the coffee container without lid and the milk pan with hot milk all coming towards me.....  I threw the washing up bowl grabbed the kettle and flung it into the sink, one hand got the milk container and the other hand and arm held the cups in place.  I went on deck to complain officially about the standard of driving, "I was looking at the map" says the eyebrow raiser sheepishly.  
I ask you Reader, I didn't do anything nearly so bad, did I?


We even took off the chimney as the bridges were pretty low along here.


New crew doing alright. 

Lesley ahead of us had called to offer her assistance in entering the basin which is owned I think by the Aylesbury Arm Boat Club, this one is on the outskirts of town and thank goodness she did, a sharp right hand turn in with an immediate drawbridge, Joe was standing helpfully on the pontoon, the only one that we would fit on.  Water at the end here, Leckkie for £1 a night and a donation to their funds.  Lovely.




Good balance this boy, he is tall so hard to get a shot of him, shoes off and stayed off.

Lesley opened the front door for us, very narrow entrance here.

Have we enough room to turn to the left.....? Yes but only 12 inches

Dearest Darling Joe marks the spot for us.



Verity and I walked together into town, we had a short list and got it all prior to arriving at the real centre of the town, the bit we were in we didn't much care for, and walked back to the basin.  The washing was pegged out and kindles fetched, then just as we were all getting comfy, two chaps arrived to work on the hull of an older cruiser right next door "Er mate we're just going to do 90 mins electric sanding, there could be dust, do you want to shut yer windows?" 


I was filled with disbelief, that these people could be permitted to carry out work in a residential basin when there is a workshop on site.... Reader what would you say?

David said "We're leaving".

Wet washing off the line, watered up, ropes off and away we went.  Back up one lock and out into the very pretty countryside.

We had cheese burgers in baps and salad for supper.





5 comments:

  1. 'Jandals' in NZ and 'Thongs' in Oz! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I'm in IKEA I will get you two. A replacement and a spare. Or maybe three. Just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tom and Jan,
    Yes Thongs in Aus, this caused some red faces when a daughter was 18 and on her Gap Holiday, the group went to a nightclub and the sign said no thongs to be worn.....
    "But how do you find out?" says one of the group, how we laughed and still do...


    Yes please Amanda, my record is bad with wine glasses, I don't even need to be driving to break them. Best get a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My most embarrassing moment after arriving in Oz was when a local asked me if I had any Durex. I stammered, mentioning I was married. Only later did I discover in Oz it's the name for sticky tape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Tom, I am blushing for you! Fancy asking a married man for sticky tape..... I bet the guy thought you were seriously weird. I haven't heard that about Aussie tape.
    I just love it when things get lost in translation

    ReplyDelete